Thursday, February 14, 2008

A Memory - - - And Not a Good One.

When I was in my early teens, just 13 or maybe 14, we discovered a way to get high . . . sort of.

We would hold our breath while a good strong friend embraced us and squeezed our chest so hard that we couldn't breath. You would collapse and have a few strange moments.

The fad only lasted a few weeks and no one died of it as far as I know, but when our (collective) parents found out what we were doing . . . well it ended quickly. Our parents, schools, and other authorities explained, in no uncertain terms, that it was dangerous and we were playing with our own lives.

Kids have rediscovered the exotic experience of an oxygen deprived brain again. Sadly this time, someone has died.

History repeats itself.

8 Comments:

Blogger Gayle said...

Weird how this stuff goes around, Shoprat.

I'm extremely glad you survived the fad. What I read at the link is even worse. Kids are doing it privately, using belts, ropes and scarves. It's totally stupid and I really feel sorry for that boy's mother!

9:01 PM  
Anonymous Seth said...

Having read about this choking thing before and now reading this, all I can do is shake my head and wonder what is happening in our society and among our youth.

What's next, hydrochloric acid sniffing?

5:31 AM  
Blogger Tim said...

"all I can do is shake my head and wonder what is happening in our society and among our youth."

As have all parents since the eginning of time.

This just shows the level of foolishness that kids will go to for a thrill, especially if they have helicopter parents that supervise little Jonny's every move. It's very sad, really.
When I was that age we did more mundane stuff like sneaking a sip or two out of Dad's liquor cabinet.

9:32 AM  
Blogger BB-Idaho said...

..was a nerd kid. Got high playing with my log-log sliderule.
Must of missed something, there...

6:25 PM  
Blogger Donald Douglas said...

"The choking game — also known as "space monkey" and the "pass out game" — involves intentionally trying to choke oneself or someone else to obtain a brief euphoric state or high, Toblin says. 'If the strangulation is prolonged, which is something that can happen very quickly, death or serious injury can result.'"

I don't remember playing that game, but I know kids do the darnedest things.

How sad for the families...it wasn't just one death.

3:51 PM  
Blogger Tor Hershman said...

My 'friend' let me go and I awoke after my head hit the concret floor, whhch could explain much.

11:56 PM  
Blogger shoprat said...

th thanks for visiting.

dd Most kids do dumb things, some are just dumber than others.

bbi I pretty much stayed out of trouble too,

tim The liquor cabinet is probably quite common.

Seth Don't give em any ideas.

gayle I feel for her too.

7:18 PM  
Blogger benning said...

Dumb kids doing dumb things. Sometimes they don't survive. That's life.

Glad you made it through, Shoprat.

8:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home