Monday, May 26, 2008

It's Been A While


First off, an apology to several bloggers, whose postings I have commented on and the comments seem to have slid into a black hole as Haloscan seems to be rejecting my comments. I don't know what the problem is but I think it's at my end.

Barr and the Libertarians
In many ways I like the Libertarians, but I certainly don't agree with them in everything and will not vote for them because it's a wasted vote and journey down a three foot dead-end hallway rather than a proper path for America to take. I would rather see those who support the libertarians abandon that party entirely, come to the GOP and help us take that party back. As long as they call themselves "Libertarians" they will not win any major elections and anything said to the contrary is wishful thinking. I feel the same way about the Constitution Party with whom I am in even greater agreement. The GOP will come storming back soon and it's partly up to these groups what kind of party we will have.

Memorial Day
I was most fortunate in that I served during a time of peace and only one real military operation took place while I was in (and then I was not yet active duty!) I can't complain that I never saw combat, but often I feel like a faux veteran when I hear combat vets tell their stories.

Anyway I have nothing but praise for the courageous men and women who truly put it all on the line, not just for America, but for the freedom and prosperity of all mankind.

The only thing I saw that came close to combat was that (expletive deleted) E-2 with a blue rope on his shoulder in boot camp; the blue rope used to be a cursed magic item that gives E-2s and E-3s delusions of godhood and but the now the Navy gives them to Petty Officers in training to train recruits - - who are probably much better qualified for such a position. (When I was in Boot Camp it was the insignia of an Assistant Company Commander who was generally fresh out of Boot Camp themselves and suddenly had authority that most of them were totally unprepared for. Scuttlebutt later told me that they had an unusually high "A" School failure rate and frequent problems when they returned to the normal Navy. I had one former Blue Rope as roommate in "A" School and he at least had a lot of problems. )

America is More Serious About Terror?!?
America is making a half-hearted attempt to combat the terror threat at best. We are stuck in a Politically Correct rut which keeps our government from acknowledging the true nature of Jihad and taking the steps that are necessary to protect ourselves from it and ultimately defeat it completely and forever. Some of it is wishful thinking, or the idiotic delusion that all violence can be traced back to the class struggle. It's true that we are doing things but we are not doing enough. What we have to do will be unpopular with the multi-culturalists and moral relativists, but - - quite bluntly - - to Hell with what they think.

Yet the Times OnLine has an interesting article saying that Great Britain needs to follow America's example and take terrorism and the threats of Jihad and Sharia more seriously. Both countries have to do that but Britain needs to do more than just follow our example because we are not doing enough. Perhaps they should do it right and show us how it's done. I for one would genuinely praise any country that properly stands up to Mo's Bullies.

7 Comments:

Blogger Gayle said...

Good morning, Shoprat. Your comment showed up on my post, although Canadian Sentinel left a comment that HaloScan had eaten one of his comments. I doubt that it's on your end. :)

I don't know whether I agree with you regarding the Libertarians or not. If Ron Paul is any example of your average Libertarian, then I don't see how they would be of help to the GOP. He would roll us up in a carpet and pretend the rest of the world doesn't exist. I need to do more research on that party though, because I'm truly only going by what Ron Paul has said.

I'm not familiar with Navy traditions and knew nothing of either the blue or red rope until I read the article you linked to. What you said makes sense. Of course they would have had problems later on. They got used to power and then had it yanked away.

The Times OnLine believes we are taking threats of Jihad and Sharia seriously? I would like to know what exactly it is that led them to that conclusion. We will wind up exactly like Britain if we don't get serious about this.

Good post, Shoprat. I hope you had a great Memorial Day weekend!

8:30 AM  
Blogger Bob's Blog said...

What Gayle said. glad you're back.

2:13 PM  
Blogger Bob's Blog said...

What Gayle said. glad you're back.

2:13 PM  
Blogger shoprat said...

Gayle Ron Paul is not a typical Libertarian any more than he is a typical Republican.

Bob Thanks 2x ;-)

5:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been trying for years to figure out exactly what a libertarian is, as they seem to hold a variety of views on the same issues. However, for the most part, they sound more like conservatives than they do liberals, though I don't think much of Ron Paul (without even bothering to note that he is the ultimate wingnut magnet).

Having said that, I believe that the coming election is one whose stakes are critical enough that anyone with even the trace of a conservative/Constitution-supporting bone in his/her body should put aside the small differences that separate their various political labels and unite in voting to defeat whichever of the gruesome twosome the Democrats finally nominate. Splintering the vote into non-winnables like libertarian and independent will only give the Democrats an edge.

In Coast Guard boot camp (at least when I went through it about 36 years ago) our company commanders (our equivalent of DIs) were mostly 1st classes trained in the fine art of sado-masochism. :-)

A lot of the stuff they made us do and the habits they made us cultivate appeared to serve no purpose other than to bust our chops, but once aboard ship, most of it suddenly began to make sense, even in day-to-day routines.

Not that I'd like to go back to boot camp for a second helping or anything.

7:53 AM  
Blogger benning said...

Good round-up, ES. I liked Heinlein's take on DIs - they came from the ranks, not from newly-minted boots. The same with officers. They had to have gone through boot camp and the ranks, and been to battle. No "University" officers allowed.

11:04 AM  
Blogger Bloviating Zeppelin said...

No one knows who Barr or the Libertarian Party is, and primarily no one cares. There shall be no affect whatsoever on the presidential race.

BZ

1:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home