Friday, May 16, 2008

Prince Caspian

I am quite tired right now.

I only slept a couple of hours but am not regretting it one bit as I chose to do it this way and am glad I did.

I went to a midnight showing of Prince Caspian last night and it was good, very good.

For once I was pleased that they did not follow the plot of the book perfectly, because dramatically and as a narrative, Prince Caspian is the weakest book of the series (in my opinion) and the changes in the plot and narrative made it very dramatic without changing the basic storyline or the message of the book. Ben Barnes made an excellent Caspian and you wanted to kill the evil King Miraz yourself, he was one nasty piece of work.

Favorite scene (very minor spoiler):
The entire Telmarine army is rushing to the river to regroup and as they cross the bridge they see a roughly 11 year old girl (Lucy) on the other side with a look of determination on her face and absolutely no fear whatsoever as she draws her dagger and just dares that army of hundreds of men to come another step closer. Her confidence makes absolutely no sense until they see Who is with her.

The plot had a lot of changes from the book to make it much more dramatic and exciting for movie viewers. However the central spiritual message of Prince Caspian is present and clear. People suffered and died because the Pevensie children listened to the advice of others, who no longer believed in Aslan, rather than trusting Aslan and did what they knew in their hearts was not what He wanted them to do.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll probably catch this one on DVD, but that's cool you went to a midnight flick!

I'm taking my boys to see Indiana Jones when it comes out, and my little guy wants to see Iron Man again!

I love the movies.

Keep it up, Shoprat!

4:30 PM  
Blogger Nightcrawler said...

I loved the Narnia series as a child and even more as an adult. It is such a thrill to see them on the silver screen!

I never knew there was a weak book in the series... lol

11:13 PM  
Blogger Dionne said...

Two of my closest friends are really into the Narnia books and one of them went to see the movie already and my kids are also looking forward to seeing it.

8:51 PM  
Blogger Bloviating Zeppelin said...

The wife and I must clearly have missed something. We found the movie tedious, overlong and underexplained. It appeared to be relying on action for the sake of action. Quite frankly, I ended up being essentially bored for 2.5 hours. The first movie, we felt, was infinitely better.

BZ

4:12 PM  
Blogger shoprat said...

anc I enjoyed seeing it too.

nc Of the 7 it is the weakest, not necessarily a bad thing considering the company it's in.

dee You'll probably enjoy it.

bz That's how it is, people seem to really love it or seriously dislike it. No middle ground.

8:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the makers of Prince Caspian kept to the original story better than i would have expected... i had heard they were going to make it into a silly pure-action flick, but thankfully this was not so much the case

4:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home