Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Been Messing Around Again

I am trying to write yet another novel. Sooner or later I will finish one that is not an embarrassment to the term literate. The idea hit me yesterday at work and I started trying to sort out dozens of ideas that I have come into my head. I will call the work City of Nyx.

I came up with the idea while contemplating how there are many books which have brilliant observations but in the end come up with goofy ideas such as Robert Heinlein's Stranger in Strange Land, or David Lindsay's A Voyage to Arcturus or the works of Ayn Rand. All of these are brilliant people with a lot of deep thought and contemplation as well as intriguing observations, but I reject their final conclusions. Lindsay's idea that God is a parasite who ultimately consumes us or Rand's nonsense that selfishness is a virtue or Heinlein's obsession with free love all damage otherwise well made observations and are unworthy of such great minds as these people possessed.

Thinking of these works while I was at my occupation led me to the idea.

Maybe this one will pan out.

5 Comments:

Blogger Bob's Blog said...

Go gor it!

11:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Rand's nonsense that selfishness is a virtue..."

She's right up to a point, but it comes across as authoritarian.

I loved Atlas Shrugged, though never finished Heinlein. I'll try again some time ...

Be well, Shoprat!!

3:57 PM  
Blogger benning said...

"Enlightened self-interest ..." is what makes the world go 'round. George Washington knew that. Rand was close.

Write, ES! Don't let your head edit while you do, either. Just get it written.

Got it?

Heheheee! Just starting a mid-year NaNoWriMo version for fellow ex-classmates of F2K. I call it PriNoWriMo (Private Novel Writing Month) - and the idea is to write, anything and everything, with a goal of hitting 50,000 words in a month. This is the third year for our little event. The lesson is easy: Don't edit a thing until you're finished.

Just write. :D

6:34 AM  
Blogger shoprat said...

there is all the difference in the world between enlightened self-interest and selfishness. They are not even close to the same thing.

4:53 PM  
Blogger Gayle said...

I agree that elightened self-interest and selfishness are not the same thing at all.

Well, you've got your title, Shoprat. Onward and upward! :)

11:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home