Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Allergies and Responsibility

I am allergic to a couple of things.

Penicillin could theoretically kill me as could a tetanus shot. Those are two drugs I cannot receive.

I cannot wear clothes washed in Cheer detergent (though I have no idea why I break out in a rash when I do.)

That's pretty much it as far as my allergies go, except that I am one of the people who can safely handle poison ivy and not react to it (as I learned when I was a teenager - - and a couple of exposures since - - but I don't press my luck.)

If I carry something that warns people not to give me Penicillin and cannot respond myself and they do anyway, it's their fault, but if I don't carry a warning and I am given some and have a bad reaction, it's my own fault.

I certainly don't have the right to tell people not to use Cheer laundry detergent simply because I am miserable in clothes washed in it (unless it's been rinsed out multiple times.)

If you are allergic to a food, you simply don't ingest it. End of story.

You don't sue the airline because they served peanuts and you don't demand that they not serve peanuts on your flight. If it is impossible to function under their normal services then you don't fly with them.

This woman's demands were unreasonable as is her lawsuit. You adjust to the allergy but you cannot demand society change unless

1) you are willing to pay for the special consideration.

2) you absolutely need the service and cannot function with the allergen nearby.

Actually the American Airlines policy of advising flyers to be responsible for their own health is not a bad idea.

The attorney that is representing Tehmina Haque (the mother in question) has a history of frivolous lawsuits. Perhaps this lawyer and others is where the real problem lies.

Furthermore, no harm came to her son.

6 Comments:

Blogger Gayle said...

Shoprat, the problem with us is we expect everyone to take personal responsiblity. Silly of us, hunh?

You're absolutely right. I'm also allergic to Cheer, by the way, so I don't wash my clothes in it. The time that I did it made me itch all over and caused me a lot of grief until I figured out what it was, but I didn't run to a lawyer and start a lawsuit. I gave away the Cheer to someone who wasn't allergic and never bought it again. Simple solution to a simple problem, but them I'm not out to sue companies in order to get rich quick.

9:58 PM  
Blogger BB-Idaho said...

Allergies are kind of weird. I'm allergic to Paul Bunyan pipe tobacco, FatTire Ale...and that
darn poison ivy...

10:08 PM  
Blogger Tom said...

A thought from my old blog...

"It must be someone else's fault that there is no personal responsibility."

'Nuff said...

1:04 PM  
Blogger Bob's Blog said...

Sorry about your allergies, and you are right about personal responsibility.

10:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your ignorant. I suggest you educate yourself about allergies. Your allergy to cheer detergent is an irritation and annoyance. It is NOT going to kill you. I am sure you would feel differently the presence of cheer detergent made your throat swell and suffocate.

11:14 PM  
Blogger shoprat said...

Anonymous Even if I had a deadly allergy to Cheer I would have no right to tell others not to use it. I have a deadly allergy to Penicillin and don't demand that it be removed from my presence. You are extremely self-righteous.

8:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home