Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Mt. Hope Assembly

I am quite familiar with the Mount Hope Assembly Church as I have been in the building few times, have met Dave Williams who is the pastor of the Church (though he is too much of a salesman type preacher for my tastes -- I prefer the scholar/teacher minister who simply lays out the facts.) I also know at least two dozen people who are members of this church.

Their morning worship service was interrupted this weekend. Members of a radical gay rights group created a little bit of an uproar during the service. It's on several news sites and I am trying to find out some more information that isn't in the news. The news stories are all virtually identical and I need to speak with more from people who were actually there. The Lansing State Journal's Article on it tells next to nothing.

What concerns me is that this is going to be happening more and more over the next few years as churches that don't march to the progressive drumbeat will begin to be attacked. Right now it is an isolated incident and we need to make sure it remains one.

The true haters in our modern society are those who hate Biblical Christianity.

On the upside, they are showing their masks can't hide their true face much longer. Such behavior reveals what they really are.

And Kudos to the congregants for not reacting violently. By reacting peaceably to this nonsense the Church may have completely ruined the plans of these people. They had video cameras ready to catch the violent hateful reactions and there weren't any.

I wonder what would have happened had some of the members of that Church returned the favor and one of their gatherings. My money would be on extreme violence.

H/T Carol at Carol's blog first alerted me to this though others are telling me as well.

17 Comments:

Blogger Z said...

Oh, my GOSH, Shoprat...how HORRIBLE. We've been worrying a little at our church, too. I am not sending this to church friends as it'll only worry them. Or maybe I should.....Some of the older women have been worried since the gays burst into a small Catholic church in San Francisco and did some horrible things.

Here in LA, the gays are rioting all around Mormon tabernacles because they worked to make sure there's no gay marriage in the State.......Funny, Black churches also fought hard, but I guess the big mean gay toughies thought the Mormons would be an easier touch; They won't go to the Black churches because that wouldn't be politically correct.

Of course, they shouldn't go to ANY churches, but you know how the Left behaves when they get their toys taken away.

Scary times...who'd have imagined that America would come to this...or we'd have a president who says "America is not a Christian nation anymore.."

6:21 PM  
Blogger Joe said...

Watch. They will become the new KKK.

6:28 PM  
Blogger benning said...

The Haters always show when they think the power is thiers. Nothing but clueless jerks.

8:20 PM  
Blogger Pasadena Closet Conservative said...

They should be picketing the black churches, which would be even more appropriate in this instance. They won't, though, because the gays are way too politically correct.

9:52 PM  
Blogger Skip said...

I see it was staged by a group called "BASH BACK" they spot lighted Mt Hope because they say it is an Anti Gay Mega Church....
Here is a link to NBC News report on it

http://www.nbc25online.com/news/news_story.aspx?id=220613

11:11 PM  
Blogger Skip said...

I see it was staged by a group called "BASH BACK" they spot lighted Mt Hope because they say it is an Anti Gay Mega Church....
Here is a link to NBC News report on it

http://www.nbc25online.com/news/news_story.aspx?id=220613

11:11 PM  
Blogger Bloviating Zeppelin said...

I hate to say it Mr. Shoprat, but I foresee pogroms coming to this nation.

BZ

1:23 AM  
Blogger Ducky's here said...

You're wrong, shoprat. This sort of thing did occur early in the AIDS era and some Catholic churches were targeted.

It was limited and it was completely ineffective. You aren't going to see this fringe tactic gain much ground because people won't stand for it.

My parish has a significant gay minority and they are as opposed to interrupting a church service as you are. This tactic will remain strictly anecdotal.

10:40 AM  
Blogger shoprat said...

Yes ducky I remember ACT-UP doing that and I hope you're right, but I need ask, what if you're wrong?

10:45 AM  
Blogger Ducky's here said...

shoprat, it's a matter of law. Disrupting services is criminal and there is virtually no support to permit this behavior.

What will happen is that reasonable intelligent advocates of gay marriage will tell these loony tunes that they are hurting the cause.

It will go back to ballot measures and media debate.

1:01 PM  
Blogger Tim said...

I condemn these people as much as I condemn Fred Phelps and his contemptable followers, whom these people seem to have gotten the idea from.

4:53 PM  
Blogger christian soldier said...

Thank you for the H/T ...
We all have to stick together....
C-CS

6:08 PM  
Blogger Ducky's here said...

You probably don't visit Huffingtonpost, shoprat (I'm taking a real wild guess), but there are a number of articles saying stop the nonsense.

This type of thing, especially the planned march on the Mormon temple in NYC, is being called just vulgar and counter productive.

You'll see some isolated events, unfortunately but it isn't going mainstream by a long shot.

10:37 AM  
Blogger Gayle said...

I also posted about this, Shoprat, and would be interested in any further information that is not from a news article.

11:41 AM  
Blogger I.H.S. said...

Shoprat, just wondering did you give up on the "What He said" blog?

1:34 PM  
Blogger shoprat said...

ihs
I had every intention of making What He Said a more scholarly blog, using Greek and Hebrew, and ran into a bit of a problem. I couldn't get Blogger to function using 3 separate alphabets (English, Greek, and Hebrew) as the change in fonts didn't post properly. I was trying to figure it out using UNICODE when I got sidetracked and never got back to it. I would like to and intend to do so but I really need to figure out how to do a blog using three completely different sets of, not style fonts, but language fonts. Also how to make the change in the comments as well. I'm open to suggestions.

1:54 PM  
Blogger I.H.S. said...

I'm not sure but maybe you could check out www.blueletterbible.org and see how they incorporate the language fonts. I love that website it's very helpful in my studies and sermon preps.

2:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home