Friday, December 12, 2008

Uh A Dream Recorder

I picked up a weird habit in High School. I kept a dream dairy for a couple of years and have always been fascinated by them. But now a group of Japanese scientists say they are on the verge of recording our dreams. Color me skeptical.

What they did was actually quite simple compared to recording an entire dream. It's probably a ways off yet if it can be done at all.

I guess it's theoretically possible to do it, since thought processes are in some ways electrical, but I think it would take an awfully complex computer program to unscramble the brain pulses and reorganize them into a something visual, assuming we can properly download them to begin with.

While fascinating in and of itself, assuming this to be true and not just a pipe dream (I know -- groan!) I'm not sure I want such software to exist. If it can record your dreams it can also record other thoughts as well.

Would it be possible then to plant an image, or a false memory, into a person's brain by further developing this technology?

Sounds like Total Recall.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think a day may come when the thought and belief can programmed.
THE DYNAMIC NATURE

12:59 PM  
Blogger shoprat said...

yeah, Brave New World here we come

3:13 PM  
Blogger I.H.S. said...

I would guess the next step after recording our thoughts would be to try a pass legislation to govern our thoughts.

Sounds like Minority Report to me.

Blessings.

3:21 PM  
Blogger Average American said...

Shit, I'm in T R O U B L E now! I wonder how bad the penalty will be for thought rape?

8:21 PM  
Blogger Chuck said...

Call me skeptical. A machine will never have a soul, or emotions

11:58 PM  
Blogger cube said...

I think my dreams should remain private just to protect the unsuspecting public. They can be even too weird for me to process.
Yikes!

4:14 PM  
Blogger Z said...

NO WAY.

Gives me the shivers

2:48 AM  
Blogger Z said...

I just had this weird thought as I'd already pushed "publish"...sometimes i hear stories about cloning, etc...really monumental things which could change the course of humanity and I think "Shouldn't the PEOPLE have a vote on this?"
This is one of those things, this dream thing.......it could have huge consequences or ramifications and maybe we don't want to 'go there'..Some company decides it's good for us and THAT's IT?

naaaa

2:50 AM  
Blogger Always On Watch said...

Would it be possible then to plant an image, or a false memory, into a person's brain by further developing this technology?

Ask any neurosurgeon.

4:34 PM  
Blogger Gayle said...

Always is right - it would be possible for sure.

Nope, Shoprat, I agree with you. Not a good idea, but that's not going to stop them from trying.

7:14 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Just because we CAN do something, doesn't mean we SHOULD do it.

12:28 PM  
Blogger The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

The other night, I had a dream my left hand got pricked by something sharp, like spear-grass. I pulled out the "sliver"...then saw that a piece was still embedded in my hand. I moved to carefully grab it between my thumb and finger to remove it...then it wriggled, and burrowed itself into my palm, causing a burning sensation, and panic! I was looking for alchohol or something to pour on it, to force it to come out, rather than burrow deeper into my hand.

My disturbing dreams, however, should be kept quiet, to myself.

1:47 PM  
Blogger Pasadena Closet Conservative said...

My mother kept a dream diary. You're the only other person from whom I've heard about that.

12:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home