Thursday, December 22, 2005

An Interesting Quote.

I was reading comments at R J Rummel's Democratic Peace Blog when I followed a link which went to a posting at the Huffington Post which was suprisingly thoughtful, but the last paragraph caused my eyes to pop out of my head.

Here is what it said.

Again, I'm all over democracy, within reason. But full-frontal democratic governments, reflecting the will a majority are fine in theory but in practice it's scary as hell. I'm sure that's why we've done away with it here in the United States.

?????

2 Comments:

Blogger Crazy Politico said...

Actually, unless I'm mistaken, we've never had that type of government in the US.

We are a Democratic Republic, not a democracy. Being a representative democracy, in a Republic type setup is very different from an actual democracy. Your voice, in a democracy would be on all issues. In our type of government your voice ends pretty much after the vote.

1:56 PM  
Blogger shoprat said...

You are correct, but I do not believe that is what the commentator had in mind.

If anything we are more purely democratic in America than we have ever been, so what practice have we discontinued that this person could be speaking of.

2:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home