Saturday, April 29, 2006

Sorry McCain -- You Are Wrong!!

You know I just begin to warm up to Senator McCain and then he opens his mouth again, and I snap back to reality.

Get this quote from him:

"He [Michael Graham] also mentioned my abridgement of First Amendment rights, i.e. talking about campaign finance reform....I know that money corrupts....I would rather have a clean government than one where quote First Amendment rights are being respected, that has become corrupt. If I had my choice, I’d rather have the clean government."

One of the main points of freedom of the press and speech is so the corruption can be exposed. Without freedom to tell the truth and state your opinions the power to limit and restrain corruption disappears. Some corruption is inevitable wherever there is power and wealth and when it happens we must deal with it. Any efforts to restrain it must do less damage to our society than the corruption does. This effort to stop it is a cure worse than the disease.

Without the First Amendment there is no clean government.

This link asks some questions of Senator McCain and though much of it is unproven and inuendo, the Charles Keating 5 mess is proven and, in my opinion, makes a McCain the wrong spokesmen for clean government.

H/T Captain's Quarters and Tapscott's Copy Desk (I see I'm going to have to add another link to my bloglist.)

Here is the link Tapscott gives to McCain making the remark. (Warning: it is a video that requires quite a few minutes to download).

NOW to be crystal clear: I DO NOT LIKE CORRUPTION and do not feel it should be tolerated, but like the wars on crime and poverty, attempts to totally eradicate it usually results in more problems. Dealing with it as and when it occurs is much better.

4 Comments:

Blogger ABFreedom said...

Why does it seem to be a constant battle to find honesty in politics? Something is definitely wrong with our systems when we can't have truly open and transparent individuals in positions of public power. It seems to give a lot of people, media etc., the opportunity to propagate lies and innuendo.

6:07 PM  
Blogger Rebekah said...

I think McCain's problem is trying to "fix" everything. There will always be corruption in politics. And infringing on the rights of others isn't going to stop it.

12:05 AM  
Blogger Crazy Politico said...

The "fix" he and Russ Feingold came up with ended up muzzling the minions, and allowing the fat cats to not only talk, but do it anonomously. Yeah, that fixed a lot :)

2:54 PM  
Blogger Dionne said...

Wow!!! And just when I thought I couldn't despise McCain anymore than I already do!!!

This quote just completely flabbergasted me:
"I would rather have a clean government than one where quote First Amendment rights are being respected."

No rational person really believes that and especially not a conservative. If he somehow weasals into the 08 Republican nomination you are going to see me be one very unhappy camper. Sigh........

11:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home