Sunday, September 24, 2006

Made My Day

Tomorrow is my mother's 70th birthday, but we were going to celebrate today. I got a call to pick up some carry-out from a local restaurant and I did and was headed to Mom and Dad's house which is about 11 miles from where I live. They live in a small hamlet of about 150-175 people.

I was about 3 miles from their place, headed down a country road at about 55-60 mph, when suddenly a deer came out of ditch and slammed into the side of my car and (literally) flew over it. Needless to say, it shook me up a little. I stopped, got out, and looked around but didn't see any sign of the deer. I then went to a nearby house so that the County Sheriff's Office could be called but no one was home. I drove on to my Mom and Dad's and called the Sheriff from there and found out I only needed to if I wanted an accident report.

My Nephew went to the site to see if he could find the deer and claim it (which you can in Michigan if you go through proper channels and as the one who hit it I would have first dibs), but it was gone. He said people in a nearby house were watching him nervously and were obviously doing something in their garage so he thinks they found it and took it. No big deal.

I took maybe a half-a-pound chunk of deer-flesh out from between my car door and the fender, and had to wash deer blood and (ahem) other organic residue off my car door and fender but I was very lucky. If that I had been 2 feet further down the road when that deer hit me I could have been badly injured or killed because it would have hit my driver side window. As it is I have to replace a headlight, a headlight bracket, and either have my fender bumped out or replaced. Maybe 200-300 dollars. It could have been a lot worse.

11 Comments:

Blogger Joubert said...

That was a near miss. We are not allowed to keep our roadkill here. What a waste because it just lies there and rots till the sheriffs decide to haul it off.

5:58 PM  
Blogger shoprat said...

Letting roadkill that is still edible rot is a crime.

6:27 PM  
Blogger Gayle said...

I'm so glad you're alright, Shoprat! I don't know what the laws are in Texas regarding roadkill, but we have so many buzzards roadkill doesn't stay around for very long. Sometimes the buzzards wind up as roadkill, only to be eaten by other buzzards. Yuck, the cannibals!

Walt ran into a deer once, in the dark, driving a volkswagon. That was years ago. Or maybe it was a cow... never could find the thing, so who knows. It bashed in the front hood pretty badly and took out one headlight, but he was able to drive it home.

6:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Deer season is just around the corner. Time to start thinning them out once again. :)

6:51 PM  
Blogger Crazy Politico said...

too bad you couldn't find the deer, Bambi is YUMMY!!!

8:12 PM  
Blogger Bushwack said...

Glad you didn't get hurt. That being said, WTH? how can you let a perfectly good deer get away? Hit with a car? You have to have a truck to hunt deer.
I can see you are in need of some real redneck training.

BTW, the first rule of deer hunting on the highway is:
After hitting the deer you must stop and collect your victim, that includes any of the following.
Deer
opossum
Racoon
Bear
Gator
and in extreme instances
Elk, (However hitting one of these is not recomended unless you are in a very big truck.)

1:23 AM  
Blogger Dionne said...

I have yet to hit a deer but its a miracle since there are a lot here and I used to drive to Wisconsin a lot and now I drive to Michigan. I'm glad you are okay, scary!!

2:00 AM  
Blogger Lone Pony said...

Glad you didn't have much damage. I need to slow down, I see them all the time and I've been lucky.

6:26 AM  
Blogger dons_mind said...

glad to hear it was no more serious than it was....hope your family had a nice day too - happy b-day to you mom! i know you'll all grin - but i keep deer whistles on both my vehicles - granted they don't do much for moving deer like the one that got you - but when they're just grazing along the side of the road - they do move away when we approach and go bye....i've had 'em on the car & truck for years.

9:14 AM  
Blogger Skip said...

Had 'em on everything for years... 99cents all over the place (hey I know what big brothers gettin for Xmas) they really do work... serieously SR we'll be at M&Ds next weekend I'll see what to do about the ride....
Glad Your Okay tho

7:21 PM  
Blogger shoprat said...

All I'm glad I'm alright too. I was stunned for a couple hours but steadied out by the time I've posted. It really amazed me that I felt my car shake when that doe hit me.

Bushwack, what vehicle do you recommend for vehicular buffalo hunts?

A&C As irrational as it seems I was angry at that deer for a while for damaging my car. Stupid I know but emotions aren't always logical.

Gunz Last year very few hunters got deer around here but looks like a bumper crop this year.

9:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home