Thursday, November 30, 2006

Dignity and Modesty

A couple days ago a former co-worker whom I still exchange E-mail with even though he is out of state, sent me something I really neither needed nor wanted. It was a picture of a young female celebrity getting out of a car and showing more of her than I had any business seeing. The picture was quickly and completely deleted.

Today the American Spectator discusses these pictures (and yes the picture I saw was of one of these two young . . . uhm . . . I hate to use the word . . . ladies.) Initially I felt that they were only harming and making fools of themselves, but the article brings up a valid point.

It's easy to conclude that all of this is none of our business; after all, what's it to you if some empty-headed young starlets want to take "revealing" attire to the next level? The problem is this: Young women like Lohan and Spears are, in fact, serving as role models to girls all over the United States. A poll conducted last year by Teenage Research Unlimited found that Lindsay Lohan was the person most envied by teen girl respondents (Paris Hilton and Christina Aguilera also made the list).

In spite of their lack of character, they are role-models. It is also sad that kids today look to Hollywood for their role-models instead of their own lives and communities. There are so many fine women in America that girls should be looking to instead of two overly-wealthy, overly-exposed (in more ways than one) tramps. These girls, in spite of their wealth, have thoroughly messed up lives, not much different than what led to the tragic death of Marilyn Monroe. They have constant legal, family and health problems brought on by their lifestyle. I fear for the lives and souls of these women. They are not to be admired but pitied.

Did the picture appeal to me? Maybe I'm weird but no. While I can and do admire the physical beauty of an attractive woman, merely "flashing" themselves does nothing for me. It only disturbs me.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm the same way Shop. Although I enjoy the beauty of a woman as much as the next guy.And there is none more beautiful in my eyes than my fiance' Ebyjo. The commando thing is simply whoreish to be frank about it. I'm a traditionalist and like to believe I'm built on good principles with good morals. I have 2 teenage/pre-teen daughters and I agree with you about the role model thing. I'm constantly paying attention to who they're idolizing and constantly making adjustments in trying to point them towards the proper ones to be fans of if they must.

10:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

couldn't agree with you more on this one shoprat. those who promote today's hollywood crowd as "role models" for our young people should be shouted down and put to rest......hollywood is a cesspool......

11:47 AM  
Blogger Skip said...

Ya know for a change I agree with you SR... I have an two (18-14) daughters, I know they watch these girls but still both of them have a high sense of modesty. I guess if you think of the way HW is today with the flash in the pan time for fame (sorry about the pun) you do anything you can for publicity
Skip

6:41 PM  
Blogger Tim said...

I have a 16 ear old girl and she does not dress like that. She doesn't even like to wear skirts. She doesn't idolize these brainless bimbos or follow their antics in the press. I am truly blessed.

11:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home