Sunday, January 21, 2007

Let's Rewrite History Here

I support a persons right to believe and follow, or reject any religion they please, though I obviously believe that they are wrong; they do have the right to be wrong and to practice and defend their religion. Still some religions do suprise me from time to time.

There has been a recent revival of worship of the ancient Greek Pantheon. If someone really does believe in the Greek gods they are free to worship them.

Still some things they are saying cause me to raise my eyebrows.

Dressed in ancient costumes, worshippers standing near the temple's imposing Corinthian columns recited hymns calling on the Olympian Zeus, "King of the gods and the mover of things," to bring peace to the world.
"Our message is world peace and an ecological way of life in which everyone has the right to education," said Kostas Stathopoulos, one of three "high priests" overseeing the event, which celebrated the nuptials of Zeus and Hera, the goddess of love and marriage.


I have many Greek myths and stories from the Hellenistic culture and have yet to see that. It looks to me as if they are imposing modern values on an ancient belief system to make it seem morally superior to us narrow-minded Christian bigots.

"Our hymns stress the brotherhood of man and do not single out nations," said priest Giorgos Alexelis.

Actually I thought each of the gods and godesses had a favored city state, but . . . they are free to believe as they wish. I will not try to stop them or interfere with or destroy their holy places, as I have no right or desire to, but I am still going to groan, shake my head, and say that they are misguided at best.

I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. No man comes to the Father except by Me. John 14: 6

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder if any lightning bolts were spotted during the ceremony...

9:49 PM  
Blogger Gayle said...

The Lord does not approve the worship of false idols, but that doesn't stop many folks from ignoring Him. Yep, I think they've created their own religion and are using the Greek gods on their own terms. This doesn't sound like it has much to do with actual Hellenistic culture. I also think that if the Greek gods did exist that it would probably piss them off! :)

11:32 AM  
Blogger Tim said...

I think these people are like hippies or something. I doubt that they really believe in Zeus. More of an excuse to dress up and act the fool than anything else.

I sometimes find myself doubting Christianity. Let's face it: If you are really honest with yourself there must have been more than once that you have thought "there is really no proof of God, and Jesus could be a fictional being". Using the scientific method, there is no way to prove (or refute) the exsistance of God. I think that one of the reasons that I cling towards believing is that a universe without God is a frightening place where I am responsible for my actions and have no one to help me during troubling times.
Several years ago, I decided to be an Athiest. This is when I noticed that things in my life seemed to worsen. Kind of like God saying "Okay, I don't exist. Get yourself out of this on your own." The more I denied, the worse things got.God didn't add to my troubles, just took a "hands off" approuch. Finally, I said "look God, I was wrong. I can't do this alone, please come back" and he did. If you look at my recent blog entry, you will see how well things are going for me. So, even if God is just between my ears, I know that I can't make it without him.

6:38 PM  
Blogger shoprat said...

tim
I too have had my crisis of faith but belief is too deeply ingrained in me.

7:44 PM  
Blogger Lone Pony said...

Interesting. I hadn't heard of this. It does sound creepy to hear them say "The Christians shut down our schools and destroyed our temples".

It's not enough to "believe" in God. Even the devil believes in God. You have to trust him. The freedom gained from trust is proof in the heart of the believer.

Of course the existence of God cannot be proven. A God that requires a leap of faith would not have allowed that.

7:54 PM  
Blogger Tim said...

That was an invitation for you to pontificate at MY blog about getting old. Read that post and profer your opinion, one ol' fart to another ;)

7:57 PM  
Blogger Dionne said...

Yah, I love Greek mythology but not as my religion. Great verse to wrap up your post! Well said!!

12:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home