Monday, October 13, 2008

Nothing Much

I spent this weekend away again and that's pretty much routine now for the foreseeable future. I watched Dad for a while as Mom left the house and actually had some time to do some things. He mostly slept but he talked to me a little bit. He is concerned about me finding a job but there is nothing he can do about that. It's hard to see him able to do so little when he was always so strong and independent. I still find it difficult to believe that, barring a miracle he will never walk again; of course I have seen miracles happen but one never counts on them. He is still with us and his mind and personality are still intact so that is a blessing and a half.

On the way home I was zipping down M-13, the state highway that drops due south out of Bay City and Saginaw and as I crossed a major intersection there was a gas station that had gas at $2.85 a gallon and I really thought about it, but the cars were lined up so far to get that gas that I just drove on by and paid a dime a more about 10 miles further down. Still better than we were paying a few weeks ago. I haven't been by a gas station today but I guess it's even cheaper today.

7 Comments:

Blogger Tim said...

I saw 2.75 a gallon in Dearborn Hgts. It would be nice, but is not going to last forver.

Your Dad,
Just be happy that he is ALIVE,

It has been 15 years since my Dad has gone. I think of him every day.

Don't think of these trips to sit by him as a burden, they are A GIFT!

Cherish them while they last...

11:00 PM  
Blogger christian soldier said...

So glad that you have the time to spend with your Dad. Your Mom must appreciate the opportunity to get out and do...
The fall colors must be out-standing in MI now.
C-CS

3:00 AM  
Blogger NEO, SOC said...

It's close to $2.57 here in Indy.

With your dad, definitely cherish these moments, and I will definitely be in prayer for him regardless of how God handles the walking issue. God is faithful and forever gracious. To have both your parents is a major blessing. I think you'll find many more interesting things that you'll see in your round-trip travels. Journal it.

6:19 AM  
Blogger Chuck said...

Shoprat, you drove within 10 miles of my parent's house. I haven't been out today but last I saw we we're flirting with $3.00.

9:34 AM  
Blogger Gayle said...

I haven't been in town this week so I don't know what gas is priced at. Last time I saw a gas station it was at $3.25 PG.

Miracles do happen, Shoprat, but if your Dad had to go through this, I believe he would rather have it be his legs than his mind. God bless him and give him that miracle!

11:35 AM  
Blogger shoprat said...

tim I am grateful for it.

cs The fall colors are minimal where I am. Another week or two.

Chuck You once mentioned proximity to Flushing.

Gayle and NS Thanks.

4:50 PM  
Blogger Yaacov Ben Moshe said...

Thanks for your link above SR- wanted to mention- My Dad passed exactly a year ago after a mercifully short illness and I applaud your efforts to be with yours. You'll not be sorry. Despite the pain and anguish involved there is a sweetness and completeness to the transition that heals and renews everyone. I know it is not easy- I'll say a prayer for your family.
Best,
YBM

11:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home