Monday, February 01, 2010

Current Events

Of course Dad is still in his condition. He is happy to be home but knows that it is only a matter of time for him. This is from a regular update that my brother sends to friends and family regularly.

Dad says "I am going away soon and want to be home to go" so we brought him home and have hospice coming in to help care for him. He has reached a point where medicine can maintain his health for a while but not improve it, nor do they feel he could survive another surgery. It is sad because his mind is so sharp, and he just can't get his thoughts out. We watch game shows, if they give a wrong answer he will say "NO".
Hard as it is, it is easier knowing that Mom and Dad have made this decision together. Dad has accepted the fact that his time with us is limited, he is not scared of what is to come and is okay with it. The commitment between my parents comes thru though, he is worried about Mom.
Right now Dad is very alert and seems happy, he is carrying conversations with everyone, best he can, anyways. He is also spending long hours in his recliner.




We're losing him. What more can I say?


And today I got into my house for the first time. It's not a major fixer-upper but a lot needs to be done. It will be mostly cleaning. Actually the people who tried to buy it left it in better shape than my nephew who was squatting there left it in for them. The sinks, bathroom utilities need to be thoroughly cleaned but other than that it isn't horrible. I do need to do a few minor repairs and re-install the garage door that they removed for some inexplicable reason. I was stunned when I saw the refrigerator because it was almost spotless. The stove has to be cleaned but I have seen much worse.

And a great variation on the "HOPE" poster for the old Obama campaign.



I love it. Thank You Dr. Douglas

6 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

So sorry to hear the update on your dad, I cannot imagine what you are going through, all I can wish is peace for you all.

7:45 PM  
Blogger Joe said...

I know it is tough. We continue to pray for all of you.

12:14 AM  
Blogger christian soldier said...

your Dad is fortunate to have two sons who care for and about him...
as to the bho cartoon - the illustration says it all...
C-CS

3:34 PM  
Blogger Tim said...

It's nice that you'll have that home. Too bad for your dad. At least he seems to be in good spirits (as much as is possible).

That poster does sum it up. Lots of damage still to clean up from W. Probably another decade. If Mc/P had been elected we'd probably be warring with Iran, N. Korea and God knows who else by now. Obama "sucked less: and was therefore the winner. Will the Republicans field a candidate who will "suck less" in 2012?

11:43 PM  
Blogger Ducky's here said...

My dad had an old recliner and he passed sitting in it. I'm not sure anyone else ever sat in it and we just set it out on trash day after he was gone.

Part of the cycle Shoprat and frankly it sounds as if your dad is going in warm surroundings with dignity. Not a bad deal at all.

4:32 PM  
Blogger Bloviating Zeppelin said...

Isn't it a truism? My dad, also, had his favorite recliner. He sat in it for years and then missed it when I had to place him in a skilled nursing facility. He snarked us all and got himself home once again, his final week of life, until his nurse recognized he had a more severe medical issue.

But still, he got to go back to his house and, once again, occupy his favorite chair.

I couldn't be with my Dad his final month. I had two jobs and a house 89 miles away. I'll always regret not being able to be with him. I miss him so. He'll be gone almost one year, come February 11th.

Treasure each minute you have with your father. But I guess I don't have to tell you that.

BZ

10:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home