Saturday, December 17, 2005

The Broken Clock is Right For a Few Seconds

Normally when the ACLU takes a case I almost instinctively say they are wrong, especially when they are protecting the sensibilities of non-Christians. But this time I have to say they are right.

It involves a Moslem in court wishing to place her hand on the Koran rather than the Bible when she swears to tell the truth.

I see no problem here. The oath taken should be one that the oath-taker would take very seriously and I do not believe that they would take one on the Bible very seriously. (Actually I think many Jihadists would find it OK to lie to infidels even if they swear on the Koran, but supposed Christians lie in court after swearing on the Bible as well.)

This is not an issue of which book is true but an issue of which book represents an oath that the oath-taker would honor. If this was a question of which book was true, I of course would feel quite differently.

Would we allow a Jew to swear on a copy of the Torah? I would hope so (even though I consider the Koran a total fabrication while I believe the Torah to be true but incomplete, made complete by the New Testament, so I actually respect the Torah.) I would say that people should be allowed to swear any oath that they would be reasonably expected to honor and they would fear to break when giving testimony in court.

2 Comments:

Blogger shoprat said...

That is a good question. Probably would have to let them but an oath to the Father of Lies to tell the truth.

7:16 PM  
Blogger Daniel Levesque said...

You know, I have made this same argument myself before, only it was in the context of keeping God in the courts whenI was debating some Atheists. Excellent post.

www.ravingconservative.com

10:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home