Friday, December 16, 2005

This Hollywood Star is Talking Sense (This Time).

Morgan Freeman had an appearance on 60 Minutes in which he said some very good things.

"I don't want a black history month. Black history is American history."

Freeman notes there is no "white history month," and says the only way to get rid of racism is to "stop talking about it."

"I am going to stop calling you a white man and I'm going to ask you to stop calling me a black man,"

I have always believed there was only one race on this planet and that is the human race. I agree that emphasizing our differences only makes the problem worse.

I remember when I was in college, a friend worked at the pet shop in the same mall that I worked and he showed me something interesting. Two tropical fish, the neon tetra and the cardinal tetra are virtually identical except one has an electric blue strip down its side while the other also has a red stripe. If you put these two types of fish in a tank with no other, they will form two seperate schools and defend their part of the tank. Put in another kind of fish and they will promptly form a common school.

The idea is that when what we share becomes more important than our differences, racism disappears. We are not simple-minded fish so we do not need to face an external threat to unite. Our intelligence should allow it (but some people sadly do need an external threat)

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE Morgan Freeman! Thanks for the link Shoprat!

8:19 PM  
Blogger Lone Pony said...

and that's not anonymous...It's me. :-)

8:21 PM  
Blogger Crazy Politico said...

I'd like to see more folks take that stand.

8:48 PM  
Blogger Rebekah said...

Well, that makes a lot of sense to me. Race relations would be so much better if everyone would stop being so hyper-sensitive to 'em.

11:04 PM  
Blogger Dionne said...

I have always liked Morgan Freeman!

12:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home