Monday, May 21, 2007

From Congressman Camp

This is from my Congressman, Dave Camp's, Electronic newsletter that I receive regularly.

Secret Plan to Eliminate Funding for Abstinence Programs Advances in Washington, D.C.
ALERT: There is a push by some in Washington, D.C., to quietly eliminate federally funded abstinence only education programs – something that spurns all commonsense and is exactly the kind of misguided, out of touch approach that many of us find insulting. It is bad enough that in 2002 the federal government spent $12 promoting contraception-based sex education for every $1 spent on abstinence-only programs. Now, the Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi (D-San Francisco, CA) is backing a plan to completely eliminate funding for these programs.

This is absolutely the wrong message for the federal government to be sending to parents and teenagers and exactly the opposite kind of help we should be providing parents.

. . . (survey information from his constituents) . . .

FACTS: Originally created under the 1996 welfare reform act, “abstinence education” includes programs that have an exclusive purpose of teaching the social, psychological, and health gains to be realized by abstaining from sexual activity, and teach that:

  • Abstinence from sexual activity outside marriage is the expected standard for all school age children;
  • Abstinence from sexual activity is the only certain way to avoid out-of-wedlock pregnancy, sexually transmitted diseases, and other associated health problems; and
  • Giving young people the know-how to reject sexual advances and how alcohol and drug use increases vulnerability to sexual advances.

PUBLIC SUPPORT: With those parameters it is no wonder a recent Zogby International poll found that parents overwhelmingly support and prefer abstinence education programs. The Zogby telephone survey, which contacted 1002 parents with kids between the ages of 10 and 16, had a margin of error of +/- 3.2 percentage points. The results were:

  • Once parents understood what abstinence education teaches, six out of 10 parents preferred their child receive abstinence education to comprehensive sex education.
  • 78 percent of parents think sex education classes in public schools should place greater emphasis on abstinence than contraceptive use.
  • Almost 60 percent said abstinence education should be funded at higher levels.
I am grateful that I have a relatively honest, and relatively conservative representative in Congress. Camp is one of the very best. (He has faults, but there are no perfect saints in Congress.)

Why in the world would anyone, except a pedophile, want children to be sexually active? We need to be doing more to convince young people that they have a choice and don't need to listen to the demands of their bodies. Kids, and too many adults, don't realize how much social and personal damage is done by such behavior. (Or they know but will not allow themselves to believe it.)

Could you imagine if we taught drug education the same way we taught sex ed?

Drugs are dangerous but we know most of you are going to try them. In order to assure you survive your experiments, we are going to show you the safest way to mainline heroin.

Or Driver Ed?

We know you kids are going to speed, and that's dangerous, so we need to show you how to maintain control of your vehicle at 90+ miles per hour. It could save your life while you are disregarding the law.

Kids, whether they admit it or not, look to adults for guidance. What kind of guidance is this when we tell them promiscuous sex is all right? It could be argued that abstinences education isn't working, but as I see the number of unwed mothers who are still in school, it's pretty obvious that contraceptive training isn't working either.

I personally have no problem with kids learning about sex in school, but it MUST be taught in a moral framework. Sadly the enemies of the American Family control far too many school systems. (Not all, but far too many).

10 Comments:

Blogger Gayle said...

Pelosi again! Dang, how I detest that woman!

Great post and points here, Shoprat. I don't get it either. They're idiocy is destroying a great number of our children. It's hard to believe anyone would want to do that, but it seems to be the case. I suppose the problem is that you have to have morals yourself in order to teach them and we have so many liberals in politics and in our schools that there's no way moral behavior can be taught. That is what needs to change!

1:06 PM  
Blogger Tim said...

Didn't he once advocate the legalization of Pot?
Gayle- this viceral hatred is so polarizing and gets us nowhere. I don't hate Bush, but wish he would just go away...

5:05 PM  
Blogger shoprat said...

tim
I wondered where you were.

I don't know if he did or didn't try to legalize pot but if he did it was years ago it could well have been a stage of growing up. I can't picture him doing that today.

8:35 PM  
Blogger dons_mind said...

i don't mean to be argumentative - but why is it the government's place to sponsor abstinence, or teach sex education? sorry, i agree that my tax dollars should not be funding what parent's should be teaching their children. we have far toooo much government in our lives as it is - this is one area they could surely get out of.....

9:45 PM  
Blogger jack rensimer said...

I would've tried to legalize pot, twenty-five years ago, but I digress...

The unfortunate fact is that many of today's parents are not as diligent to teach their children about morality, in particular, sexual morality.

While I'm not in favor of our school systems taking on such a responsibility, if the parents aren't, someone must. Teaching abstinence would be better than teaching 'safe sex'.

Shoprat's analogies put that in perspective I think...

10:36 PM  
Blogger Gayle said...

Tim, I don't hate Pelosi. I "detest" her. There is a huge difference! I don't wish anything bad on her or any liberal. I don't hate Pelosi, I just wish she'd go away!

Shoprat, I have a post up on Liberal Lunacy regarding a Professor who actually told his college student audience in Bolder, CO to have sex and do drugs. These people are horrible!

9:27 AM  
Blogger pete in Midland said...

Camp's my guy, too, and I've always found him a little better than the average congressional hack.

Sex Ed is a problem. Many/most parents do not seem to do a good job ... if they bother at all, to explain the birds and the bees, and the resulting stork or STD. Heck, they haven't for a lot of years. I remember my girlfriend ... my gosh ... from some 40 years ago ... telling me how terrified she was when she experienced her first menses at 13/14 ... as she had no clue what was happening.

However, expecting that our government schools are going to be able to do an adequate job ... when they seldom manage to help Johnny learn to read ... makes as much sense as believing that illigal immigration is a good thing.

Actually, Pelosi does perform one useful service. You just know she's going to be on the wrong side of ANYTHING.

1:08 PM  
Blogger dons_mind said...

i don't necessarily disagree with anything you all have said - - but why in the world do you think that the govt can do any better of a job than the worst job that parents do or could do or should do...a far better comedian than i once said, 'once the govt gets an idea, even a bad idea, there's no stopping it.....'

5:20 PM  
Blogger Dionne said...

Never heard of Dave Camp before but I'm pretty impressed by this.

I have always said the same thing about how little sense it makes to teach anything else like liberals do sex education. We can't tell kids not to do drugs because they'll do it anyway, how stupid is that theory? Just as stupid as saying we can't tell kids not to have sex because they'll do it anyway.

I had this argument with my boss when I was a nanny. I think she thought she was being so "enlightened" but I just think its pretty stupid. My parents and my church raised me with abstinence education and I actually followed it. It is possible.

Thanks for posting on this, I'll be adding Dave Camp to my list of the good guys in Congress :-)!!

6:13 PM  
Blogger shoprat said...

d_m I would rather the parents did it but too many can't or won't but it has to be in a strong moral framework.

jr thankyou

lmc I think he is a congressman to be proud of.

bob thanks

5:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home