Monday, May 14, 2007

I'm Going To Make Everyone Mad (heh heh heh)

Patrick over at Born Again Redneck Yogi has a post about pretension and class conceits and I commented about how some people buy only the best books and put them on their shelves to impress people with how well-read they are, and never read them or worse yet, read them because they are expected to and don't enjoy them or really learn anything from them.

To be honest we all do it.

I have a couple of CDs that I bought because everyone is supposed to like them, but I never listen to them because I simply do not like the artists or the groups.

One of them is the Beatles.

Here is my deep, deep, deep secret.

I do not like the Beatles!!!!!

Some of their music is good but they were largely the product of an excellent PR campaign and many of their contemporaries were every bit as talented or even more talented than they were. John Lennon was a hypocrite who called for all property to be redistributed except for his own. George Harrison was totally spaced out. Paul I have never paid attention to. Ringo, I liked him when he struck out on his own and from what I have read of interviews and seen him talking, he is probably the most human of the four; as a man and artist he was too good for the Beatles.

There. I have confessed. Let the flames, death-threats, and "You don't know what you're talking abouts!" begin.

10 Comments:

Blogger pete in Midland said...

Who?
Weren't they some bubblegum band back in the '60's who had songs that repeated some inane phrase over and over and over and over and ....
"I want to hold your hand, I want to hold your hand, etc, etc, yada yada"
I've never been pretentious about books or music ... I repay the authors and artists that I like by buying their books and records. In my too-large vinyl collection, my too-large CD collection and my casette collection, I can boast of no Beatles music.
I can't think of a book I ever bought because it would look good on a shelf, although some of the hardcovers I bought were a little ostentatious - those leather-bound library editions some clubs used to off the classics in. I do have some well-worn books ... I think the LOTR trilogy has been read at least 6 times since I bought the set in the mid-60's. Isaac Asimov's Foundation Trilogy probably got thumbed through 5 times. Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged has been read a dozen times, although I've still never yet made it all the way through John Galt's 60+ page speech. I don't think I have a Louis L'Amour book that hasn't been read at least a half dozen times. I think I've gone through all of Ann Coulters at least twice, and it's about time to find the first Harry Potter again so that I read them in order, again.
Good books always have more to offer you as you re-read them.
Currently my pretention about books (LOL) has led me to a library of over 1800 hard cover books, with probably less than 10% only having been read once. Hmm ... no wonder my wife gets on my case about getting my butt outside and doing chores. LOL.

5:53 PM  
Blogger RobC said...

Ringo was my favourite not that the Beatles were my favourite Brit Band... I liked the Tremeloes more. I have one LP of Ringo and 4 of the Tremeloes... LP's are those flat vinyl things we had before CD's y'now... :-)
By the way before you laugh at me, there is now a USB turntable that you can play vinyl on your laptop with! Who said old technology is dead.

6:20 PM  
Blogger Gayle said...

LOL! I didn't like the Beatles when they first became famous and I still don't like them. You are not alone out there! :)

11:39 AM  
Blogger Joubert said...

Now I know why I like you. I can't stand the Beatles either but I can't stand most hippie "music."

12:02 PM  
Blogger Bloviating Zeppelin said...

Flames! Death Threats! You don't know what you're talking about!

:^)

BZ

12:34 PM  
Blogger shoprat said...

All: somehow I knew I wasn't alone.

BZ you're scare'in me man.

9:27 PM  
Blogger Jay said...

The Beatles? Who were they?

10:26 AM  
Blogger The Conservative UAW Guy said...

Sorry.
They had some darn good stuff.

But if I didn't listen to anyone who was a dirty commie or hippie, I darn near would have any albums or movies, would I?

8:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to like the Beatles, as soon as I really listened to the words to 'imagine' I couldn't stand them anymore.

9:47 PM  
Blogger Bob's Blog said...

I agree!

7:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home