Saturday, June 02, 2007

What a Day!

Yesterday was a day I wish would have gone differently.

Started out good. I have been struggling a little financially because of difficulties my employer is having, though I am not in serious trouble at the moment, so I got some money from my 401K to settle some bills and get a little ahead before the Summer lay off (a fact of life for auto-workers).

The check arrived yesterday and I deposited it in the bank and tried to fast-clear it so I could have immediate access to the funds. The bank teller was wonderful and quite helpful, but my 401K provider. . .

Bureaucracy: the curse of modern society.

When I was a store manager my district manager gave me a book, whose title and writer I have forgotten, on how to survive and thrive in a big corporation. The book was partly just quotes and sayings including the following gems that I remember

Nothing can outwait a bureaucracy.

The larger the organization the more ridiculous the procedures

Never get caught between two bureaucracies.

No flow chart can adequately describe the run-around.


Oh well. At least the bank teller really tried.

Several people complimented me on my patience and understanding, but beneath my calm exterior I was boiling. I was not a happy camper yesterday.

9 Comments:

Blogger dons_mind said...

i feel for ya shoprat - - i really do....there's very little that i'll brag about (besides my wife and my grandkids!) but one thing i've learned to have in abundance is patience - - i'm extremely patient and even nice while i'm being patient - - drives my wife nuts - she boils over easily - lol - anyway, i hope it all worked out for you in the end.....

10:32 AM  
Blogger Tim said...

Shame on you for getting into your retirement savings! Still, I need to learn to be more like you and Don and learn patience. I am dealing with some major (and expensive) ramifications because of my lack thereof.
With a college degree, don't you think you could pick up a little temp work while you are waiting out your lay off? Kelly could probably get you in a cushy office gig 1 week at a time.

11:37 AM  
Blogger Lone Pony said...

Oh geeze! I know what you mean! I spent almost 3 hours on the phone with the IRS yesterday! My SS# was wrong on some papers they sent me. The girl I got ahold of just couldn't understand what the problem was!

Have you ever thought of moving out of Michigan? I meant to ask you that before, with the economic problems and all.

5:39 PM  
Blogger Gayle said...

It's the truth that the bigger the corporation the more BS there is. I used to work for Lockheed Martin and it's like working for the government!

6:26 PM  
Blogger Dionne said...

Sorry for the frustration. All of those quotes are sooo true.

8:08 PM  
Blogger ChrisA said...

I used to have to deal with people at Honeywell. That was a freakin nightmare. I know what you mean about Michigan and jobs. I ended up leaving and moving to Phoenix because of it.

Best of luck to you!

8:43 PM  
Blogger shoprat said...

dm Patience is indeed a wonderful thing to some people, it drives others crazy.

tim I did not do this lightly, but considered my options and pulled only a tiny percent out. I have considered doing other work but that is an uncertain possibility at the moment.

lp The IRS once thought I was 2 people with the same name and SSN, one of whom did not pay any taxes. That was in 88.

Gayle and Chrisa The company I used to be a store manager for wasn't that big, but it was big enough. Their bureaucracy was maddening enough.

lmc They are true and I wish I could remember the name of the book.

9:00 PM  
Blogger Bob's Blog said...

What you say about bureaucracy is so true. I am sorry you are having to deal with these issues.

10:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Patience while dealing with bureaucracies and Bangalorean tech support is not one of my strong suits, but I've somehow managed to overcome the urge to take it out on their phone people (though sometimes I can't help but get a bit short with those #&*^%$#%% at Dell).

3:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home