Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Changing Security From Time to Time

My computer anti-virus program expires in January and I will replacing it with another one. It has been a very good system and I have no complaints about it at all, but I had something surprise me today.

My old anti-spyware system expired a few days ago and I replaced it today. It was still in my system when I ran the new system and it gave surprising results. My old system had been compromised and now had an unwanted little tidbit right inside of it. I had been wondering why it was running constantly for the last few weeks, eating up massive CPU and Memory, slowing my computer way down, and at times stopping it entirely while it did whatever it was doing. Now I understand why.

Still not certain I downloaded and ran another spyware hunting system and it spotted the same problem in the same file (but the two two detectors did not have any problems with each other.). That was pretty clever creating a spyware thingy that hid right inside your protection from spyware.

I may stick with AVG anyway because it has been good for me. I'll just reload it from scratch so that the old program is gone completely.

Also there are numerous bogus protection systems. The number of them amazed me. (Mine was legit but somehow got compromised.)

5 Comments:

Blogger Bloviating Zeppelin said...

LUCKILY (writing this with my fingers crossed) I have only had my hard drive crash, and have not experienced virus problems. I only have dial-up and, though that's bad, maybe it's good because NOTHING can download readily whilst using dial-up.

BZ

7:45 PM  
Blogger Joubert said...

I have AVG scan on auto every morning but it misses some stuff so I run Spybot whenever I remember.

The new Firefox just recently warned me that there was something hiding in my exec files so I'm looking to find another program to destroy it.

Dial-up is not a guarantee. I got quite a few nasty Trojan Horses through dial-up in the past. There are some ugly evil people on the Net.

1:22 AM  
Blogger Tom said...

Generally, I haven't had too many problems. A monthly scan usually takes care of what few problems I have.

Also, I didn't see any comments about using a firewall. That will also help keep the spyware down.

Note: I've moved my blog from Tom's Common Sense to Tom's Fireside Chat. Please change your blogroll and visit sometime. Thanks!

7:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The security system I've had since the start of this year is Trend Micro's 2007 version.

It is constantly downloading upgrades as it learns about new viruses, spyware, etc. I had a problem similar to the one you describe a few weeks ago, after being informed by the system that I'd just taken on a virus it didn't recognize, but a couple of days later it evidently had figured it ou: After one of their downloads showed up, the problem disappeared almost immediately.

It also informs you, when you arrive at a page, if there is anything bad there, identifies it and supplies the "threat level".

As a plus, their tech support is also very good.

7:00 PM  
Blogger KurtP said...

Something to remember about those viruses (virie?) If it's one of those nasty ones that get into your system, you need to turn off your system restore or you'll keep reinfecting yourself.

The wife kept having a virus pop up after she'd got everyting clean on thing 1's computer until she turned off restor.

8:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home