Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Have You Ever Eaten a . . .

I've eaten a few oddities.

I had squid once. It was like eating fish-flavored rubber bands.

I had baby shrimp (I don't know how they were prepared for this.) on a pizza once and it wasn't bad.

Chocolate covered ants? Yeah and you don't even taste the ants. If you don't know they're there you don't notice.

One of the first links I put in this blog was to RecipeSource which is on an online cookbook. You can find just about anything on it. Most of it is ordinary food from all over the world but from time to time you find some oddities.

Including this:

                             French Fried Skunk

Recipe By : Indian Cookin-Herb Walker
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Dinner

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 skunks -- skinned and cleaned
1 tablespoon salt
water to cover
2 cups bear fat or lard
2 egg yolks,beaten
3 cups milk or cream
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons baking powder

Clean and wash the skunks, making sure that the scent
glands are removed. Cut up into small serving pieces.
Put a soup kettle on the stove and add the meat. Cover
with cold water and bring to a boil over high heat.
Lower the heat and boil until the meat is tender, about
40 minutes. Remove all the scum that rises to the surface.
Make a batter by mixing together the egg yolks, milk, flour,
salt and baking powder. Mix real good until the batter is
about like cake batter. Heat the bear fat or lard in a deep
fryer to about 360 degrees. Dip the pieces of skunk in the
batter and then fry them until golden brown. Drain well
and serve. Yum, yum.
You kind of wonder if they are serious but I think they are. Have you ever eaten anything really unusual? Like a skunk?

10 Comments:

Blogger Bloviating Zeppelin said...

I have squid (or calamari) quite frequently and enjoy the taste! I had alligator in Georgia, rattlesnake in Fornicalia (actually did taste a little like chicken), duck, elk, buffalo, various sushi, eel (not keen on that), shark (very nice), sand dabs, caviar (yuck!).

BZ

8:57 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

I'm not so daring, but I would probably eat almost anything covered in chocolate, except skunk.

9:36 PM  
Blogger dons_mind said...

wow....gotta tell ya - i've eaten some strange stuff - - baluut (duck eggs), octopus, squid, all kinds of strange things in japan, hong kong, singapore...i've had horsemeat, monkeymeat, goatmeat, possum, raccoon, squirrell....BUT i cann't say i've ever eaten fried skunk! although i would try it if it was offered....my theory has always been that as long as i see somebody else eat it, i'll try at least one bite of whatever it is!

9:48 PM  
Blogger christian soldier said...

thank you for the link to RecipeSource---
as to the skunk--
if I were on an island-faaaaaar away---with nothing else to eat---and had fire a water---
>>>WHEW-came out of THAT bad dream!!!:-C-CS

11:51 PM  
Blogger shoprat said...

All I too have had shark. Not bad but not worth the price.

7:03 PM  
Blogger Chuck said...

I've had Calamari, sushi, pheasant, beef tongue (actually pretty good), beef heart (dry). I'm with you on the shark, I wasn't real impressed.

8:54 PM  
Blogger Z said...

calamri(which is like snails, you eat it for whatever sauce they serve with is OR the fried stuff sticking to it if it happens to be served fried..mmm), sushi, beef tongue (Very good, though Mr. Z says he won't eat anything that something else already had in its mouth!), ...

and fried ants. seriously.

5:39 AM  
Blogger shoprat said...

Beef tongue is actually very good. I love it.

6:14 AM  
Blogger Always On Watch said...

I'll skip the skunk, thanks.

I have, however, tried groundhog. No matter how my mother tried otherwise, the meat was tough and tasted like Virginia clay.

One exotic food I've tried and LOVE is roast bear. Very dark and heavy, though, so one can't each too much.

8:08 PM  
Anonymous Disgaeathree said...

Very nicee post

7:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home