Thursday, May 26, 2011

Michigan Once Again

Once again Michigan leads the way, to the shame and humiliation of all in this state.

We not only have two of the ten most dangerous cities in America but we have number one and number two.

Flint, which is about a half hour away from and Detroit.

Now both cities have things to recommend them but this is drowned by crime.

Saginaw and Pontiac are also cities I avoid.

A few years ago I wrote a rather long post on the link between poverty and crime, that poverty alone could not account for high crime because of the number of poor people who never commit crimes and the number of wealthy and affluent people who do. Most crimes committed the poor and crimes committed by the not poor have the same cause -- a sense of entitlement.

I am entitled to this woman's love and respect so I will beat it out of her.

I am entitled to more fun and my baby holds me back so I will kill it.

I am entitled to a hot car like this so I will take it.

I am entitled to more money and if I can't get it legally so I will just take it.

I am rich and entitled to anything I want.


and so on and so forth.

We have schools, college-professors, unions, social workers, and even a few badly misguided preachers telling people that they are entitled to certain things and when they are not forthcoming people take it for themselves from others. After all --- they are entitled.

We are not entitled to our next breath or our next meal. Good-hearted people will do what they can for the less fortunate but it is an act of Charity not Entitlement. Acts of Charity on the individual level should be encouraged and praised but a sense of entitlement should never be encouraged and needs to be stamped out.

6 Comments:

Blogger christian soldier said...

Glad you are back !!

Michigan my Michigan--so sad isn't it--
Detroit used to be known as the Parlor City-now-thanks to the looooong term welfare mentality-Detroit is totally broken ...
welfare=entitlement mentality..
Carol-CS

5:28 PM  
Blogger Z said...

Shoprat, it's so good to read you again...this is absolutely true.
Entitlements are the scourge of our country and we have a president who knows that promising them is the way to get elected.
This is why I fear for the 2012 election; Republicans are the adults trying to get this country back in order, knowing that entitlements are far too expensive and defeating....but how do we educate Americans who vote the other side when they think something might not be given to them, something whose provenance they don't even ask about. "WHO IS PAYING FOR THIS!?" Tax the rich. Borrow from China.
How did this happen!?

5:39 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

How did it happen, Z asks? Simple, progressivism.

Shoprat, so glad to see you back, hope all is well with you!

7:49 PM  
Blogger Chuck said...

Gotta love our state

9:52 PM  
Blogger Chuck said...

BTW, I grew up in Flint. It has changed a lot in the last 40 years.

9:53 PM  
Blogger Always On Watch said...

I see the sense of entitlement mushrooming in all our urban areas -- and in the wealthier suburbs, too.

Just talk to any highschooler in an urban or suburban area. Sheesh.

7:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home